Disclaimer: The information found on this page is for informational and educational purposes only. Always make sure to get the proper clearances and to consult the advice of a professional before attempting any repair or improvement.
By learning how to paint kitchen cabinets and other areas in your home, you may be able to save hundreds or thousands of dollars per project, depending on the type of project you wish to complete.
While actual costs vary by kitchen square footage and the number of cabinets you wish to paint, the cost of hiring a professional to repaint your kitchen cabinets can cost around $1,000.
Therefore, learning how to paint cabinets is a useful skill that could save you money and gives your home the refreshed look you’re aiming for.
Moreover, learning how to paint over wallpaper and refinish ceramic tile walls are other useful skills that can help you to save money on your future home improvement projects.
According to the Painting and Decorating Contractors of America, the average cost of repainting the interior of a 1,000-square foot home ranges between $1,500 and $3,000, while the average cost of repainting a 500-square foot interior surface ranges from $750 to $1,500.
However, learning how to complete these projects on your own can save you a large chunk of money in the future.
To learn more about how to paint cabinets and to explore the other types of home improvement projects that can easily be completed without the help of a professional, read on.
How to Paint Kitchen Cabinets by Yourself
When learning how to paint your cabinets for the first time, you’ll first need to gather the right tools for the job. These tools include a two-inch tapered paint brush and paint bucket, sanding block, tack cloth, 120 grit sandpaper and bucket of oil- or- water-based paint and primer. You’ll also need a screwdriver for removing the hardware from your cabinets.
After obtaining the tools you need, complete the following steps:
- Use a screwdriver to remove all hinges, hardware and drawer faces from your cabinets.
- Use a degreaser to clean the surfaces you wish to paint.
- Cover your floors and countertops with drop cloths and/or rosin paper.
- Use 120 grit sandpaper and a sanding block to sand the surfaces you wish to paint.
- Vacuum the sanded cabinets and use a tack cloth to remove any loose particles.
- Before beginning the process of how to paint your kitchen cabinets, use a paint brush to apply a layer of primer to each side.
- After priming your cabinets, apply the first coat of paint.
- Wait about four hours before applying a second coat of paint to the cabinets
- Wait for your cabinets to dry completely before reinstalling your hardware, hinges and drawer faces
Whether you wish to learn how to paint cabinets white, dark gray or a vibrant color, several of the best products for painting kitchen cabinets are available from brands, such as Farrow & Ball, Benjamin Moore, Fine Paints of Europe and Valspar.
How to Paint Over Wallpaper
Learning how to apply paint over wallpaper is an essential skill that helps you to save time while reducing your risk of damaging walls when removing wallpaper from them.
However, you must first prep the walls you wish to paint by securing loose wallpaper with an adhesive and applying a thin layer of clear caulk to the perimeter of each wall. Doing so will keep the wallpaper from peeling after you have painted over it.
Once you’ve fixed any loose edges of wallpaper, the following tips can help you clean your walls before you paint them:
- Vacuum the walls to remove dust from the wallpaper.
- Use a degreasing dishwashing liquid and damp sponge to clean the walls while wiping in a vertical motion
- After cleaning the walls, wait for them to dry before you begin painting
- Before painting the wallpapered area, apply a layer of oil-based, stain-blocking primer
- When learning how to paint over wallpaper, test a small portion of the wallpapered area before painting the entire wall
How to Paint Ceramic Tile
Learning how to paint walls with a roller or paint brush is especially useful if you wish to paint the ceramic tile walls in your bathroom, kitchen or parts of your home that do not regularly encounter heavy amounts of water.
Tile floors, vanity countertops and bathtubs or showers cannot typically be painted, as these areas are more likely to peel or wear away once exposed to moisture. However, learning how to paint ceramic tiles can provide you with an easy and affordable strategy for redesigning your kitchen or bathroom.
To experience the best results when learning how to paint ceramic tile walls, you will need to clean and sand the tiled area before you begin painting. Here’s how:
- Use 100 grit sandpaper to lightly sand and remove the gloss from the ceramic tile.
- Use an abrasive bathroom cleaning agent to remove any soap scum, dust or dirt from the tile.
- Use a clean, wet sponge to remove any excess residue from the walls.
- Wait for the ceramic tile to dry completely.
After sanding and cleaning the ceramic tile, apply one to two coats of a bonding primer, such as Sherwin Williams Extreme Bond Primer, to the walls you wish to paint. Once the primer dries, apply two coats of an epoxy or acrylic latex wall paint to the ceramic tile.
How to Paint Furniture White
Learning how to paint furniture with chalk paint is simple, especially if you wish to bring new life to an old bookshelf, table or another piece of unfinished furniture. With chalk paint, you can update your home and décor in an easy and affordable way without needing to purchase new furniture in the process.
You can even use chalk paint to paint wood furniture white if you’re looking to lighten things up around your home.
When learning how to paint your furniture with chalk paint, the following tips can help you to get started:
- Before painting the furniture, use clean, soapy water to remove any dirt and dust.
- Give the furniture plenty of time to dry before applying the chalk paint.
- To give your furniture a distressed look, use a chip brush to apply one or two coats of chalk paint to the furniture in an irregular pattern.
- When learning how to paint furniture with chalk paint, you can use fine-grit sandpaper to create a rustic look for your furniture piece after the paint dries.
- Run a damp towel along the furniture to remove any loose sanding dust.
- Use a clean brush to apply a coat of wax to your furniture piece, as this will help to seal the piece